Coastal Cottage Mother’s Day Gift Guide
Being the Mum of three wonderful sons, I feel truly blessed to share a coastal cottage with my boys, their friends and cousins. With this experience in mind, I’ve curated this Coastal Cottage Mother’s Day Gift Guide, knowing what kind of presents I would appreciate at my vacation home.
When the crowds gather at the cottage, it usually means that I’m cooking three meals per day and constantly trying to corral everyone’s stuff, so it really isn’t much of a holiday for me, even though I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Gifts of relaxation
gifts for entertaining
The cottage is ALL about entertaining. Your Mum will so appreciate these pretty coastal inspired gifts for Mother’s Day that will make entertaining at the cottage effortless.
4. Lemonade or Margueritas – the Oxford Pitcher from Anthropologie handles them both deliciously
5. Wine and Cheese at Happy Hour should be written into the Cottage Constitution! This set of three cheese knives with their beautiful handles are sure to get tons of use.
6. And if you’re having cheese, then of course you need a Charcuterie board. How many ways can cheese, salami and grapes be displayed? Not sure, but I envision a new cottage competition around it.
7. When did tea become so complicated? It used to just be Orange Pekoe but now you’re expected to offer 10 different herbal flavours. Help your Mum keep them all organized in this practical yet stylish Tea Box.
8. Now I just love these Stainless Steel Wine Tumblers. They’re ideal for sunset cocktails on the dock. And they’ll hold a full can of beer or cider. Best part? No one can tell how much wine you have in there.
9. There are always bits and bobs floating around the cottage – the boat key, a cool shell, a feather and any myriad items picked up that someone thought was interesting. This Onyx tray is a great repository for all random items.
10. The cottage is the epitome of indoor/outdoor living which means you’re constantly traipsing outdoors with food and drinks. I can’t think of a more stylish tray than this Bar Harbor Bone Inlay Tile tray.
11. Dessert served on these Clare V. Maisonette plates will taste extra tasty!
12. And when dessert is Ice Cream, the Matte Latte Serving Bowl is absolutely perfect.
13. Even though the cottage is the most relaxed place in the universe, you still need to have manners. And water rings on furniture is not the definition of patina my friend. Protect the furniture, as old as it may be, with these Abalone Shell Coasters.
14. An essential part of the cottage routine is visiting the local Farmers Market. What better way to display your fruit than in this Floral Ceramic Berry Basket?
15. The power will go out at the cottage – that’s a given. And usually when you have a turkey in the oven and are feeding 25 people. Be prepared with the Portia Hurricane Lamp. At least you’ll be able to see the turkey, even if you can’t cook it.
Home Decor Gifts
The cottage is often where old items that no longer work in our city homes go to die. And the repository for friends and family castoffs. But it doesn’t have to be that way! The cottage should be every bit as beautiful as your principal residence. Your Mum will really treasure these beautiful costal decor gifts for the cottage for Mother’s Day.
16. We humans always find a view of water restful so even though the cottage may be on the ocean or a lake, not every room can have a water view. This Seascape Wall Art will be just the right piece for those rooms.
17. I believe that your paint palette and decor should reflect your surroundings. Driftwood Wall Decor reflects both the woods and the beach and so fits with any cottage decor scheme.
18. You’re not really supposed to be concerned with time when at the cottage but sometimes you need to know, “It’s five o’clock somewhere”. This outdoor clock can work both indoors and out.
19. Magazines at the cottage are de rigueur. National Geographic Magazines from 1993 anyone? Your Mum will appreciate being able to keep them tidy with this Metal Wire Wall Shelf.
20. I’ve found it helpful to hang mirrors in each of the bedrooms. Saves the bathroom being clogged up as people put on makeup. This Nautical Rope Mirror will fit right in.
21. These dip-dyed stools are oh so versatile. They can hold a plant, be a side table, be a rest by a stand along bathtub.
22. At our cottage, the door is always banging open. This Maritime Door Stopper prevents the wall getting banged up.
23. Putting up your feet at the cottage is mandatory. This Carpinteria Pouf is a perfect spot to rest them. And it also serves as extra seating when needed. Which is often.
24. The Concha Capiz Lantern is so evocative of the shore.
Let’s face it, a good part of the day is spent outside and it needs to be every bit as comfortable as the inside. Here are some gift suggestions for the outdoors that any Mum would love to have.
25. Hands up whose cottage beach towel as so thread bare that you can almost see through them? Time to replace them with a set of these luxurious Mallorca Beach Towels.
26. An outdoor rug on the cottage patio not only feels great on bare feet, but it can brighten up it up tremendously. Ensure that it coordinates with any outdoor furniture cushions though.
27. Another option for an outdoor tray for carrying drinks down to the dock.
28. I’m constantly packing up snacks, sunscreen and other odds and sods to take on the boat. This Soukie Backpack is such a stylish, handsfree way of carrying everything back and forth.
29. We’ve often on the deck after sundown and need a light that won’t attract the bugs. This Bamboo lantern should fit the bill.
30. I love my hanging chair on my deck. It’s so peaceful to sit in it, gently rocking in the breeze. Until it’s time to make the next meal that is.
31. Who hasn’t had their Mum remind them to wear their hat in the summer? I still do it to my kids and they’re adults! Well now it’s time for Mum to have her own stylish bucket hat.
32. A campfire is ingrained in cottage life. But often there is a campfire ban over the entire summer. But propane fires are allowed. This Square Hamptons Outdoor Fire Table is large enough for a crowd to gather around. Unfortunately no S’mores though.
the Home Made gift
Remember, no matter whatever the age of her children, a Mother will always appreciate a homemade gift. No macaroni necklaces though please.
As these are all gifts that I would appreciate, being a Mum myself, I’m sure you’ll find something in this Coastal Cottage Mother’s Day Gift Guide to surprise and delight your Mum. You’re welcome.
This post may contain affiliate links
Anthropologie – Floral Ceramic Berry Basket | Bed Bath and Beyond – Oggi Cheers Stainless Steel Wine Tumblers | Anthropologie – Portia Hurricane Lamp |Anthropologie – Matte Latte Serving Bowl in Iris Blue | Anthropolgie – Clare V. Maisonette Dessert Plate |Anthropologie –Concha Capiz Lantern |Anthropologie – Ramona Coaster |Bodum – Chambord Manual Milk Frother |Serena and Lily – Hanging Rattan Chair | Anthropologie – Stella Bamboo Lantern | Anthropologie – Onyx Tray | Serena and Lily – Mallorca Beach Towel | Serena and Lily – Bar Harbor Bone Inlay Tray | Serena and Lily – Sandbar Tray | Serena and Lily – Nautical Rope Mirror | Serena and Lily – And We Danced in the Sea Candle | Serena and Lily – Dip Dyed Stools | Serena and Lily – Maritime Door Stopper | Serena and Lily – Carpinteria Pouf | Pier 1 – Metal Wire Wall Shelf | Pier 1 – Blue Indigo Seascape Wall Art | Pier 1 – Natural Driftwood 32″ Wall Decor | Pier 1 – Park 18″ Bronze Outdoor Clock | Bed Bath and Beyond – Oceanstar Bamboo Tea Box | Anthropologie – Olli Ella Soukie Backpack | Anthropologie – Oxford Pitcher | Anthropologie – Zosma Cheese Knives | Anthropologie – Tracy Watts Dune Bucket Hat | Home Depot – Safavieh Courtyard Blue 5 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Rug | Home Depot – Napoleon Patioflame Square Hamptons Outdoor Fire Table | Wayfair – Coastal Inspired Wind Chime | Wayfair – Etheridge Long Charcuterie Board